Harry Weir was born in Cambridge, New York in 1886. He lived most of his life in North Hoosick. Mr. Weir was an active civic and business leader, and was long associated with the Noble and Wood Machine Company. He started as a foundry foreman, was named Secretary of the company in 1918, and later served as Treasurer, President, and General Manager. After his retirement in 1960, he was named Chairman of the Board.
Mr. Weir organized and was principal officer of the Peoples Gas and Oil Company, which served as agent for Texaco in Rensselaer, Washington Counties and into Vermont. He was also associated with many other businesses. He was on the advisory board of the National Commercial Bank and Trust Company as well as on the executive committee of its predecessor, The Peoples First National Bank. He was a director and President of the Permanent Savings and Loan Association and Chairman of the Board at the time of his death. Mr. Weir was a director of the Mary McClellan Hospital. He was the treasurer of the former Presbyterian Church and became a trustee of the First United Church following the merger of the churches.
Mr. Weir was Chairman of the Board and contributed generously to the Town of Hoosick Youth Center, which utilized the former Presbyterian Church building. He was an active member and Vice President of the Hoosick Falls Committee for Industry that brought Nancy Shoe Company to town. He was a member of Kiwanis and belonged to the Elks for more than fifty years. He was the Treasurer of the Hoosick Falls Cemetery Association and belonged to Van Rensselaer Lodge F&AM and the Hoosick Falls Country Club.
Upon his death in 1963, he left many bequests to local organizations and individuals. The remaining money was set up as a trust fund to be given out in the Town of Hoosick area. In 1965, funds from his trust were given to the Pool committee. These funds made it possible to complete the pool area. Several causes in the area are still benefiting from his trust. Harry Weir was an important part of the history of the Town of Hoosick.