|1927 - The Year of the Markers
Anticipating the dedication of the Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site in Walloomsac, NY on August 16, 1927, area organizations and governments placed monuments on historic sites from Cambridge to Bennington. The historic markers related to the Battle of Bennington were established in 1927. They are along the routes of General John Stark, Lieutenant Colonel Baum and Lieutenant Colonel Breymann This article is featuring three battle markers out of the many.
|This marker is located on Route 22 going North after turning left in North Hoosick. At this point there was a grist mill on the Little White Creek that was built by John and David Van Rensselear. The first and last skirmishs between the American Militia and the British forces in August, 1777 were at this Mill. Baum captured the Mill on August 14, 1777. He found wheat and other material that he was sent to capture. Breymann and his British reenforcements destroyed the bridge at the mill as he retreated from the American Militia on August 16, 1777. This was the conclusion of the Battle of Bennington.|
|This marker is located in Walloomsac at the junction of Route 67 and Cottrell Road near the paper plant. Our Society recently had the plaque refurbished. After the first Battle of Bennington, the 600 British reenforcements started marching from the Mill toward the battle area. The American Militia from New York, Massachusetts and New Hampshire battled the British from Cobble Hill Road to the area of the present day marker. Both sides were weakened and the Battle could have been won by either side. The Green Mountain Boys arrived at this moment and were able to drive the British back to the Mill on the Little White Creek. Since it was becoming dark, the militia men stopped and the British retreated to Cambridge. The marker is the furthest advance of the British in this second battle on August 16, 1777.|
|The next marker is located on Route 67 just past the Vermont State line in Sodom, Vermont. This was the site of the David Matthews’ home in 1777 where Lt. Col. Baum and Lt. Col. Pfister were taken wounded from the first battle. Lt. Col. Francis Pfister was the leader of area Loyalists fighting with the British. Both leaders were shot in the stomach, a mortal wound in those days. In this home, they both died. Lt. Col Baum died two days after the battle on August 18, 1777. They were buried in the Walloomsac riverbank nearby, the precise spot not known. David Matthews later built the State Line brick house. His large tombstone in the Sweet Cemetery on Cottrell Road reads in part, “Captain David Matthews, Died March 20, 1811.”|
W. Lynn Chapman 1913 - 1989
W. Lynn Chapman was born on January 12, 1913. He was educated at the Hoosick Falls Public Schools. He attended the Troy Conservatory and received a degree in music. He started playing piano professionally at age 15
Lynn enlisted in the Marines during World War II. He was assigned to the band but when needed he was sent to Iwo Jima where he saw combat. He then toured with the Bob Crosby Band and toured with the USO shows. During these shows he accompanied such celebrities as Judy Garland, Bing Crosby, Dennis Day, and Jimmy Durante. He also worked with the Kay Kyser Band. An album titled “Field of Dream” was recorded by the Frank Fields Orchestra containing the song written by Lynn Chapman untitled “Land of Love”. The recording was by a 35 piece orchestra and the director was from England where most of the records were sold.
Lynn moved back to Hoosick Falls and became a professional piano tuner and worked in the entire area. He organized the Lynn Chapman Trio which played at the Williams Inn and the 1896 House in Williamstown, MA. He was married to Katherine (Hickey) Chapman and they had three children all talented in music.
Through piano tuning he became acquainted with George Hughes from Arlington, Vermont who did Saturday Evening Post covers in the early 1950s. He sat for drawings and was on three covers, two of which is shown on this page. We recently received the actual covers.
>>> The full version of our Newsletter is mailed to each paid member throughout the year <<<