|World War II Effort
During October 1942, the Town of Hoosick teamed up with the Village of Hoosick Falls to conduct a mammoth scrap drive. As the War progressed, there was a shortage of iron scrap needed to produce the materials to win the war. C. W. Noble, Supervisor Bert Baker of the Town of Hoosick and Benjamin Levine headed up the drive.
The major portion of the heavier scrap was melted down in the Noble and Wood foundry to be used in very high priority defense orders. The remaining metal was sold to scrap dealers for immediate shipment to steel mills for conversion into new steel. Noble and Wood paid the Salvage Committee the highest sum allowed by the ceiling price established by the government, a much higher price than paid by scrap dealers. The Noble and Wood Company and Herrington Feed Store donated the use of trucks and crews for the scrap collection. Most of the crews were employees of the Town and Village. The money received by the committee was used for community projects.
School children became involved by bringing a small piece of scrap each day and 1,800 pounds of metal were collected. Women canvassed every home in the Village and collected pledges for scrap to be picked up by the crews. Items were picked up in the farm sections the second day. During the first three days over 250,000 pounds were accumulated.
Everyone was involved when it came to the War effort.
Many students left school in their senior year to enlist in the service. A lookout station was manned by defense wardens at the Johnson Hill schoolhouse. World War II was about survival and people on the home front were glad to participate in rationing of gas, sugar, and many other items.
>>> The full version of our Newsletter is mailed to each paid member throughout the year <<<